Ventura - Postcard Series
In this new retrospective, author Glenda J. Jackson has compiled more than 200 postcards to chronicle the city’s history.
The city of Ventura traces its heritage back to the founding of Mission San Buenaventura in March 1782. The intervening eras have seen cattle drives down Main Street, revival tents in the marshy area now known as Pierpont, and the days when the Ventura trolley was the quickest way around town. The attractive images in this postcard tour through bygone times also include the stately Schiappapietra Mansion on Santa Clara Street, which was sadly torn down in the mid-1950s. The county seat of Ventura County, the city of Ventura retains a picture-postcard ambiance, and these images illustrate how that charm always has been a part of Ventura heritage.
About the Author
A resident of Ventura County since 1969, Glenda Jackson has written for numerous periodicals on antiques. She lectures on vintage clothing and Victorian etiquette and has been a City of Ventura historical tour guide since 1997. Her extensive collection of Ventura memorabilia includes early newspapers, brochures, maps, photographs, and other publications.
: Arcadia Publishing
: Postcard History Series
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)